A couple of summers ago, we were invited to a friend’s house for barbecue. We needed to bring a side and we really weren’t sure what to bring. I whipped up this dressing and we stopped at the store for veggies on our way to dinner. It was, by far the best impromptu side I’ve made in a long time. My recipe for grilled veggies with greek dressing is super easy and absolutely delicious, so I’m sharing it with you!
For the veggies, you’ll choose what you like. When we make this we choose the following:
- red onion
- 2 bell peppers (green and red or yellow, for color)
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- one bunch of asparagus
- yellow squash
There’s not really a set of “must have” veggies, I just like to make sure I have lots of colors. Eating the rainbow makes sure you get lots of nutrition! You’ll slice your veggies into large enough slices that they won’t fall through the grill grates:
- red onion – about 1/2 inch thick slices. *Tip: take a toothpick and skewer through to the middle of the rings to ensure they stay together while grilling!*
- bell peppers – can be sliced into rings or thick sticks
- mushrooms – grill whole then slice into thick sticks
- asparagus – you can run a couple of (pre-soaked) skewers through the top and bottom of the asparagus to “attach” the asparagus spears next to one another to keep them from rolling everywhere on the grill
- zucchini and squash – slice in a thick bias cut
Season the veggies with salt and pepper and toss lightly in avocado (or another light) oil. Grill until the veggies are tender. Place on a platter for serving. Serve with dressing and crumbled goat cheese on the side, allow people to dress their veggies as they like.
Find more ideas here: 15 Easy Summer Side Dishes
Copycat Zoes Greek Dressing
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Combine ingredients in a jar, cover, and shake!