This week I bring you a dish I can make in my sleep, easy citrus baked chicken. This is one of the first ways Emma ate chicken and she has loved it since. The citrus marinade not only gives the chicken a wonderful bright flavor, it also ensures that it stays moist while it bakes. In this recipe I use lemon, thyme and oregano as the base flavors, but you could definitely switch it up with what you like or what you have on hand, like:
- orange and basil, rosemary, or thyme
- lime and cilantro (add red pepper flakes for heat!)
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do!
This dish is so easy! There’s actually not a real recipe, more of a method. Start by zesting one good-sized lemon. We use this microplane. I usually zest it right into the bowl I’m making the marinade in. Then add the juice from that same lemon. Next, whisk in the olive oil. Eyeball the amount, it should be about equal to the lemon juice. Now you up the flavor wit herbs and spices. I added pinches of dried thyme and oregano (to taste), a pinch or two of salt and a few grinds of pepper. I also added garlic and onion powder, probably 1/4 teaspoon of each, at most. It’s really all about what you like. Taste as you go!
Prepare an 8 x 8 pan (I use glass) by spraying it lightly with avocado oil spray. Then place two boneless skinless chicken breasts in the pan. Once you’ve whisked your marinade together (and given it a taste), pour it over the chicken. Let the chicken set for at least 30 minutes, but no longer than one hour.
Toward the end of marinating time, heat your oven to 350 degrees. If you have put your chicken in the fridge, take it out when you start your oven. When your oven is heated, bake your chicken for 30 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 165 and juices run clear.
Let your easy citrus baked chicken rest about 10 minutes, and enjoy!
Want more ideas for healthy dinners? See my 5 Healthy Dinners post!
The Inspired Mrs L is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Citrus Baked Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1/4 C olive oil (it should be about equal to the amount of lemon juice)
- salt and pepper
- pinch dried thyme
- pinch dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp onion powder to taste
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with oil. I like to use a glass pan.
- Zest and juice your lemon into the bowl where you will mix your marinade.
- Whisk in olive oil, taste!
- Add salt and pepper, herbs, and seasonings.
- Place the chicken in the prepared pan and pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Cover chicken with plastic wrap and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes but no longer than one hour.
- When you have about 15 minutes left on the marinating time, heat your oven to 350 degrees. If your chicken is in the fridge, remove it now.
- Bake chicken for about 30 minutes, or until it reaches 165 degrees and juices run clear.
- Let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
The Inspired Mrs L is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.